The Crocodile Hunter is dead?
Monday, September 04, 2006, 11:15 AM

I almost can’t believe it, even though I knew that sooner or later this kind of death was bound to happen to him. But I thought he’d be killed at eighty, when he wasn’t as fast to jump away from a crocodile’s snap or a snake’s bite.

Irwin often dodged danger to show that there was nothing in nature worth fearing, because he believed that behind the sharpest teeth glimmered a misunderstood soul.

My ex, Ken, and I used to watch the Crocodile Hunter all the time. Ken watched for the dangerous animals and I watched for Steve Irwin because he was just so dang engaging. Nuts. So totally out there. But that’s why everyone knew him, that’s why there was no ignoring the Crocodile Hunter. He spoke up for some of the scariest, deadliest animals around, claiming they were beautiful. I’d never heard of a crocodile being called that before, but if you’ve ever seen a Crocodile Hunter episode, you’d have heard the emotion behind it in Steve Irwin’s voice.

He might have been a little nuts, and he did take precarious risks with his children, but Steve Irwin is dead too soon. Too soon.

1 Did the Unhingey Jiggy Engage in Unhingenosity
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .