Navras (state #7)
Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 6:44 PM

Do you remember the beginnings of that cool song at the end of The Matrix: Revolutions? (Dang it, Becky, how do I do the code so this will automatically open in a NEW window?)

The movie ended on a note of dark promise (like all of The Matrix movies did); there was a beat or two of silence, and then a choir belted out these words:


asato ma sad gamaya!
tamaso ma jyotir gamaya!
mrtyor mamrtam gamaya!

Only, to me it sounded more like:


pasadoh mah-sahya guh maya
ew-yah-yah
pasafoh mah sah goh-maya
h-oh, ew-yah
do muh sumyah ag-GOH-yah!

But I have chronic lyricosis. Besides, when I hear that song--by the kick ASS group Juno Reactor--it interrupts life as I know it, makes my pulse do the funky chicken. I can't function. Can't think. I can only feeeeeel.

Anyway, the song is called Navras and it's a Sanskit word that, when broken down, refers to the nine ("nava") emotional states ("rasa") that are exhibited during music, drama, and the visual arts, the experience of which bring about a state of transcendental bliss.

The nine different states are as follows:

  1. Love
  2. Humor
  3. Pathos
  4. Wrath
  5. Heroism
  6. Horror
  7. Disgust
  8. Supernaturalism
  9. Peace

I'm at number seven novel-writing-wise, but hoping for number one and eight especially (transcendental bliss notwithstanding).

Tune in tomorrow.

Better yet, Sunday.

Love you, Keanu. And I don't care if you DID pop a paparazzi in the nose, because I'm sure that guy friggen deserved it...

4 Did the Unhingey Jiggy Engage in Unhingenosity
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .