Retromiscent: Hee-Haw
Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 7:08 PM

Retro-plus-reminiscent=retromiscent.
Wherrrrree oh where, are you tonight? Why did you leeeeeave me here all alone? Ah searched the world ova and thought I found true love. You meeeeeht anotha and pfft you was gone.
One of the best memories I have growing up happened on Saturday nights when Oogie was out carousing places like The Cat's Meow (hi, Kristina!). Oogie left me and Rhonda in the care of a redneck babysitter who had a couch covered in perforated plastic (it stuck to my thighs, ow) who liked that ole show called Hee-Haw.

Don't know that one, Beth? Wait for it.

Listen.

Er, read first.

So anyway, Oogie left her only two begotten children with a red-necky sitter who liked to watch this show called Hee-Haw co-hosted by musicians Buck Owens and Roy Clark. I think it aired in the mid-to-late-seventies--that magical period of time before me and my sister discovered there was like, this, big difference between girls and boys.

I remember that the show started with a bunch of people sing-songing hee-hee-hee, haw-haw-haw. And I loved laughter, people could always count me in for anything laughter-like, so I always sang hee-hee-hee, haw-haw-haw along with them.

The thing I didn't understand was what that thing was with all the teeth. And I never did figure what it was until later (I didn't know a dang donkey had buck teeth).

But I did know it was a fun, uplifting kind of show. I'm sure I didn't understand 85% of what was going on, but I watched for the Pfft! And you were gone song. I lived for the moment I could wail and spit at the same time.

Doesn't every redneck kid?

I miss shows like this--homespun innocence--good-natured humor that doesn't poke fun at a celebrity's psyche. Since when did making fun of a living, breathing person become the norm?

Pfft.

You ARE still here, Hee-Haw!

Labels: ,


10 Did the Unhingey Jiggy Engage in Unhingenosity
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .