My writuals
Sunday, September 21, 2008, 11:41 AM

...Responding to the questions of writer rituals posed at The Writer's Retreat.

Questions like what I do to get into the writing mood, what I do while I'm writing. Mostly I just think about how I should be writing. When I do sit down to write, I rewrite the same paragraph into incomprehension. Anyway, I figured I'd tackle the questions anyway, not because I think it's going to turn on a light bulb for anyone, but hey, it might be helpful for me.

Where are you?
I'm one of the High School Musical Wildcat cheerleader girls doing a jig on the gym floor, singing my heart out about how I'm going to make all my dreams come true.

No, wait. I'm a bug on the wall watching Michael and Nikita's Hand Dance.

Hmmm, no, I'm Kristy McNichol and I'm getting my first glimpse of Christopher Atkins (and true love) in The Pirate Movie!

Er, okay. I'm Trinity from The Matix kicking ass amidst rampant chaos. To a way cool song, too.
Now if only I could come up with one of these scenarios on my own. Then it wouldn't matter at all where I was writing, if I was using a pencil on a page or keying the words into a word processor.

What are you writing with?
Half a brain most of the time. But I've learned the hard way that the best way to write for me is via keyboard in the comfort of my home--less distraction that way. Also, my chores should be done--dishes cleaned and put away, laundry done, papers filed, candle burning. Everything in it's place and a place for everything. And geeze, do I wish I had a maid.

What's the oddest object in front of you?

A squashed AMP energy drink carton. These days, I need all the energy I can get. I just wish these drinks didn't kill my tummy.

What are you listening to?
I choose certain songs to write certain scenes. Always have, always will. There's just something about the right song that draws forth whatever emotion I'm determined to capture for my characters, that helps the words flow.

Right now, though, as I write this entry, it's Jason Mraz' LIFE IS WONDERFUL (and I'm trying to feel and believe in it).



Is there anyone else in the room?
If there is, they ain't saying boo, thank God. (If you mean my muse, she's in the back going through old clothes I can give to Goodwill. She's in a rotten mood, and she's stone-silent.)

What time of day is it?
Just before noon, actually. My favorite time to write, though, is first thing in the morning or last thing at night. I'm at my most productive then. Or, I used to be. I think I will be again...

What do you look at when you're looking for inspiration?
Inspiration hits me unexpectedly. I could be looking at or listening to anything. The key for me is to realize what the inspiration is and to chase it with everything I've got, even after the feeling lessens. And that's the tough part because I have to kind of ignore real life (which I can't do), and yet realize (and forgive its intrusion) that it is life which helps keep my inspiration going.

I wish I had an internal image recorder. I'm sure that would solve almost everything right there.

What is guaranteed to remove your concentration?
I doubt anyone is interested in a long list--God knows I'm not--so I'll share the most important. Me. My fear. More than I want the internal image recorder, I want the fear gone to kingdom come. Since that's unlikely to happen, I think I'll go take a shower.

------------------------------------------
The original article: Writuals - scribes reveal daily routines

16 Did the Unhingey Jiggy Engage in Unhingenosity
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .