Fate's sense of humor
Saturday, February 24, 2007, 12:53 PM

Around 5:30 a.m., I woke up cold. I go to bed feeling cold, wake up some time during the night feeling as if my body is going to combust from an internal heater, then wake up feeling cold again. But this was Saturday morning and I could burrow back under the covers. First, though, I turned the heat on. A bit later, my alarm clock went off because I don’t turn it off on the weekends—I read or heard something about how it’s easier to face the weekday morning if you keep to the same wakey-up routine. On weekends I wakey-up long enough to turn off the alarm and grin-sigh over the fact that I don’t have to get up unless I want to.

So I got out of bed again to turn off the alarm and noticed that the room was cooler than it was an hour ago. I have an in-the-wall unit that doubles as a heater and an air conditioner. If I turn the knob right, the A/C comes on. Left, the heater. Apparently I’d turned the knob right.

My apartment lease is up for renewal. And in a few months, it will be my second year in Los Angeles. For the most part, I am content in LA, but there are so many people that the city is overrun with buildings, cars, pollution caused by the cars, and noise and trash created by all the people, myself included. When I think of where I’ll be fifteen years from now, I don’t see LA. Either I’ll be back in Fort Wayne, or living in a different area outside of LA and driving to work, suck!, or I’ll have found another city and state more to my liking, but I really don’t want to have to start all over again.

Then again, starting over again has its appeal. If I didn’t like my job or my work fambly as well as I do, I’m sure I’d start over again. But for now, I’m thinking about purchasing a condo because in LA, that’s a smart investment. Property is everything here, even if I end up in a tiny apartment like I have now. If the city keeps growing, or the population remains about the same, I’m sure I can make some money when or if the time comes. Last month, a condo on the street where I live went for a little over $300,000.00, which is a steal in this area. In Fort Wayne, a $300,000.00 property would be a mansion in Cherry Hills. In LA, it’s a one bedroom, one bathroom apartment with a balcony and covered parking.

Crazy, but it is what it is and it’s to my advantage to accept it. First I need to see if I can pre-qualify. I ran a what-if on Prudential’s calculator on the Finance page and great googly-moogly, it seems I can afford to buy a glorified shack. So I’m off to see the wizard.

4 Did the Unhingey Jiggy Engage in Unhingenosity
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .